Thursday, June 03, 2010

Lola Strikes Again

Thank God for teachers with a sense of humor! Or else Lola would be forced to be home-schooled by now...

Yesterday Eve and I went in to get Lola from her classroom at the end of the day. Her teacher had written "New Hampshire" up on the white board and asked the students to find as many words as they could using those letters. By the time Eve and I arrived, there were about ten kids left waiting to be picked up and close to 75 words on the board. Mrs. G. enlisted our help and the group of us pushed it to 102 words. Silence fell over the room as we all squinted our eyes and peered at the letters, desperate to make more words. Nothing.

All of a sudden, Lola shouts out, "Weiner!"

Mrs. G turns slowly, gazes at Lola over the top of her wire rims, pen hovering over the white board and says, "You mean...like...hot dog?"

"Yeah, sure." Lola's face was still but her eyes were twinkling madly.

It's up there. It's valid. And it's all Lola.

The little weiner.

5 comments:

Carrie Wilson Link said...

"Yeah, sure." OMHOG!

Deb Shucka said...

What a character! Laughing out loud here, both at Lola's face, and at the teacher's. I wonder if she's counting days. :-)

Judith van Praag said...

At times I speak double Dutch, and sometimes I read or hear double Dutch, I blame that on my heritage. This said, I'm puzzled by the "weiner", did Lola say whiner or wiener? Either way your Lola got it right, smart kid.
PS I got to your blog through SheWrites and would like to join the Seattle Writers group!

starlightblogger said...

How Adorable! I couldn't help but smirk at her valid word choice and the twinkling eyes :)

I think you have a creative one on your hands :)

Miss Devylish said...

'Creative one' and 'character' are all better than 'stripper'. :) She's gonna be a rock star that one.. ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...