Friday, January 15, 2010

Maya Angelou is My Mother

Well, sort of. She has written a new book called "Letter to My Daughter" and I've just barely begun to read it and already I've been reminded why this woman is one of my all-time heroes.

Her first chapter is titled, simply, Home. Here is the first bit of it that struck me like a claw hammer to the big toe:

"I believe that one can never leave home. I believe that one carries the
shadows, the dreams, the fears and dragons of home under one's skin, at the
extreme corners of one's eyes and possibly in the gristle of the
earlobe."
Something tells me that this book is one that I'm going to
keep chewing on and chewing on and quoting over and over again. This woman is so
thoughtful and deliberate and absolutely filled with love of life. Yup, she's my
mother, too.

3 comments:

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Sounds amazing, but gristle of the earlobe? EWWW!

Deb Shucka said...

It's a wonder of a book by a wonder of a woman who can teach us all something about mothering.

fullsoulahead.com said...

She has a show on XM radio and what I am always amazed at is how she makes each guest she interviews walk away on cloud nine. She LOVES them, and people just glow right over the radio waves while talking to her.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...