Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Insight: Courtesy of Fox's "House"


"Why do you value your failures more than your successes?"

"Successes only last until someone screws them up. Failures last forever."

Pause. Hold my breath. Sit up straight.

Rewind. Press play.

"Why do you value your failures more than your successes?"

Pause.

I don't know. I didn't realize that I did until this precise moment. But you're right. I do. Play.

"Successes only last until someone screws them up."

Pause.

Ain't it the truth. Each one is fragile, strung together on the strength of a single filament, no bigger than the width of a spider's silk. The safest thing to do is tuck them away in the trees and hope that you can use them to wrangle bigger prey. Keep them out of the path of things that might go crashing through them and shoot them all to sh*t. You'll just have to start over.

Play.

"Failures last forever."

Stop.

Whoa. He's right. That's exactly how I treat them. As a kid I was taught to take responsibility for my mistakes. But what if 'responsibility' doesn't mean 'fix?' What if 'responsibility' means accepting and apologizing versus atoning and undoing? What if, by owning up to my failures, I've really been focused on punishing myself for even making mistakes at all? And by trying so damn hard to fix what I messed up on, I'm winding the web tighter and tighter around that mistake all but ensuring that it will stay preserved forever. What happens if I acknowledge my failures and move on instead of letting them own me?

Who knew sitting on the couch with a pint of Double Rainbow Coffee Blast ice cream could be so enlightening? This is better than therapy!




5 comments:

chris said...

I know right? House seems to be getting better and better too! Not only is the writing as thought-provoking as ever, but the cinematography is infused with amazing grace and feeling. Amazing stuff!

Deb Shucka said...

This particular House got me as well. It was brilliant in so many ways. One of my favorite parts ( and one that made me squirm) was when House was supposed to be apologizing so he could move on and he tried to fix the situation instead. I love your web metaphor, and that we watch House together. :-)

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Way better. I love free therapy.

Miss Devylish said...

Yes, or that awesome can of Argentinian dulce de leche which I find a reason to have some every single damn day.. failure or not. :) xo

Scott from Oregon said...

Baseball is a better metaphor.

"Success" is granted at 30% positive results...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...