Monday, July 06, 2009

Treasures


I was lucky enough to spend some time with my dad's wife on July 4th and, while she still isn't quite ready to spend a day cleaning out his study, she provided me with some terrific treasures she found in a closet.

Seems Dad kept a file folder of memorabilia from my childhood, complete with newspaper clippings that announced I'd won a writing contest (!) and letters we'd written back and forth in the years we didn't live together. I had completely forgotten that Dad and I were such prolific pen pals back then and this morning as I read through some of the letters he kept I was absolutely overcome. I wrote, as only a twelve-year-old girl can, of having terrible days,

"...school stinks as far as friends go. My teacher gave us an assignment with only three days' notice and I didn't get it done on time. I came home and screamed at everyone, went up to my room and skipped dinner to get it all out..."

and then promptly moved on to my excitement at helping Mom take on extra work by cleaning her real estate office in the evenings. Dad and I went on, in subsequent back-and-forth letters, to debate the merits and shortcomings of the 'new' typewriters (seems I preferred the IBM Selectrics) and report to each other on the most mundane subjects.

In addition to these treasures, Dad's wife discovered two boxes of slide carousels completely catalogued and loaded with photos ranging from the mid 1960s to 1990, all meticulously organized and labeled as only a Marine could do. I spent the morning looking at images of my teenage father in his flight suit splayed across the wall of my dining room, his face sad and resigned as he played poker and watched the USO shows so many decades ago. I can't wait to continue digging into this amazing treasure chest and see what awaits me...

6 comments:

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Wow. I will hold you in prayer as you journey through this "chest."

Jill of All Trades said...

Oh gosh, I love that kind of stuff. I can get totally lost for an entire day looking at old pictures of family.

Deb Shucka said...

May your explorations bring you joy and comfort and healing.

chris said...

That is so cool Kari! I love that kind of stuff. Enjoy perusing through your personal history.

Scott from Oregon said...

My dad has a closet full of those slide carousels...

I think it's fun getting out the old projector and finding a clean space on the wall...

Miss Devylish said...

Aww.. that's so awesome sweetie.. You sound just like one of your girls in that letter. xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...