Monday, May 04, 2009

I'm Free

Gluten-free, that is.
Going on five days now.
My pantry? Pretty bare. Amazing what you can find in there that contains gluten. Bye-bye boxed risotto mixes. See you later, teriyaki sauce, enchilada sauce, cereal, fettuccini, cornbread mix.

Lola's devastated. Nutella has gluten (not that there's any bread in the house she can put it on anyway). The hardest part for her? Ovaltine. Her daily drug - gone. We're switching to gluten-free chocolate sauce in her morning soy milk. Wish us luck.

Bubba's in shell-shock. His favorite weekend staples are hummus and pita bread. So much for the pita. No crackers to put that on, either, buddy. Guess you'll be dipping carrots and cherry tomatoes into your garlicky spread.

Eve's relishing the challenge. She likes the brown rice pasta from Trader Joe's (thank God for TJs and their seven page list of gluten-free items!!!) and likes the attention she gets when she tells people she can't have gluten. Most of her third grade friends act like she has four eyes and, doing her thing, she patiently explains with a light in her eye. An educator to the core, that one.

As for me, I found a great gluten-free granola bar recipe that I made over the weekend and the girls devoured it!! In fact, of all the posts I've ever put on Facebook that one was the one that drew the most impassioned responses. There were a few when I said Eve had chickenpox. Other people responded when I mentioned Lola might have broken her foot. But the one that pulled people out of their lurk-n-read state the most? The gluten-free granola bars. Who knew?

The gluten-free focaccia bread recipe I found wasn't quite the hit I hoped. I'll keep playing, but for now, it's kind of nice to walk in to a mostly-clean pantry.

The best part is going on three days without the hint of a stomach ache for Lola. Ahh, bliss....

5 comments:

Carrie Wilson Link said...

As you well know, I'm banging the gluten-free Bible! The results speak for themselves!

hally said...

A gluten-free diet is recommended amongst other things in the treatment of celiac disease and wheat allergy. It is a diet completely free of ingredients derived from gluten-containing cereals...
Watch the video-instruction:gluten-free diet-instruction !!!

Jerri said...

Three days without stomach ache might mean an extra Zagabonsis Day this month!

Michelle O'Neil said...

You MUST order Breaking the Vicious Cycle by Elaine Gotschall.

BTW, it gets easier after a couple of weeks.

Deb Shucka said...

So, Lola's feeling better. What about you?

I've had great luck at Whole Foods and Fred Meyer as well. Gluten free pizza, gluten free tortillas, gluten free soy sauce, gluten free cheeto things. I'm a happy girl.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...