Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Time for a Few More Things I'm Loving Right Now

During my mega-marathon stint at the ER with Lola last Sunday, Bubba and our eldest daughter spent some time at Borders Books & Music listening to CDs. Eva bought her ailing little sister a Jordan Pruitt CD and Bubba got himself the classic 2-CD set of Heart music (inspired by Rock Band, no doubt). They brought me some new music for my troubles as well - something they both previewed extensively and pronounced "Mom's kind of music." They were right.




This is one of those CDs that strikes me as though I've heard it before, as though somewhere, whether in a movie or on TV, I've heard and loved these songs and even coveted them. I'm sure I haven't, but the songwriting and the easygoing rhythms are so pleasant to listen to that this disc has earned the first spot in my car's 6-disc changer and will likely be there for some time to come.

After several months of reading books with more than 300 pages and/or somewhat difficult themes (The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, The Shack, Three Cups of Tea), three of the ladies in my book club requested a "lighthearted read." Enter, The Daily Coyote.

It definitely fit the bill. I loved the story and the attendant photographs. Unfortunately, the book felt like it was written in a hurry (which, apparently, it was) and didn't have a lot of the details I wished for. In several places I found myself asking questions I had no hope of getting answers to and while the writing was good and the subject matter indisputably interesting, I wanted more. If you're looking for a quick read, though, pick it up.

As for me, I'm off to weightier subjects. After spending a couple of hours in my very favorite book store (the world's best bookstore, in my humble opinion), I found no less than three books I'm off to read over Spring Break, so I'll let you know what I think of them when I'm done.

2 comments:

Deb Shucka said...

I can hardly wait to hear your reviews. Happy spring break!

Carrie Wilson Link said...

I'll be ready and eager to hear your reviews! Happy Spring Break!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...