Saturday, January 10, 2009

Can't Explain


There are tasks, menial tasks, really, that I actively resist. I know that's not an earthshattering revelation by any means, but it does sometimes surprise me. After nearly 15 years of marriage to my best friend, I still ovestuff the recycle bin in the kitchen rather than take the full container the 20 feet to the garage to empty it. Not because it's disgusting (it's just rinsed, recycled stuff, after all), not because I don't feel it's my job, just...out of habit, I suppose.

Bubba doesn't seem to mind. He teases me about it from time to time and it's not as though I never take the recycling out. He travels about 50% of the time and when he's gone, there's only so much I can force in to that bin before I am forced to carry it to the garage. I think he thinks it is weird that I'll empty the stinky, sticky garbage but I resist taking out the recycling. I'll walk all the way across the yard to dump the smelly compost out several times a week, but the recyle bin? It eludes me.

He has his quirks, too. He's excellent about replacing the toilet paper roll on the actual wall mounted fixture, but putting his breakfast dishes (even just his coffee cup) in the actual dishwasher? Nope. He'll bring them to the sink. Right next to the dishwasher. Rinsing them and placing them in the dishwasher, though? Not gonna happen.

Every once in a while the guilt overcomes me and I will spontaneously empty the recycle bin. As I'm doing it, the monologue in my head is going something like this, "Why are you feeling guilty? That's ridiculous! You do all the dishes in this house. Every time a lightbulb needs changing, you're the one who climbs up on the ladder. Remember the time the garbage disposal died? You were the one on your hands and knees under the sink putting all the pieces back together. The recycling is pretty small compared to that."

Of course, by the time I'm done giving myself that pep talk, the empty bin is back in its place in the kitchen, just waiting for me to overstuff it again, and I'm chuckling at my efforts to resist this petty task. But it doesn't mean I won't do it again. Fifteen years of habit is a tough thing to reverse. And I'm not sure I want to. If I did, what would Bubba have to tease me about?

2 comments:

Carrie Wilson Link said...

If he only has ONE thing to tease you about, then I'm impressed! STM has a veritable laundry list of all the things that just make me that much more fun to live with!

Deb Shucka said...

This sounds like a job to give to your girls. Problem solved.

Thanks for the laugh! Love to you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...