Thursday, October 02, 2008

Happy Birthday, Gandhi!



A Pledge for Grateful Living
by Bro. David Steindl-Rast O.S.B.

In thanksgiving for life, I pledgeto overcome the illusion of ENTITLEMENT
by reminding myself that everything is a gift and, thus, to live GRATEFULLY.

In thanksgiving for life, I pledge to overcome my GREED,
that confuses wants with needs,
by trusting that enough for all our needs is given to us
and to share GENEROUSLY what I so generously receive.

In thanksgiving for life, I pledge to overcome APATHY
by waking up to the opportunities that a given moment offers me
and so to respond CREATIVELY to every situation.

In thanksgiving for life, I pledge to overcome VIOLENCE
by observing that fighting violence by violence leads to more violence and death
and, thus, to foster life by acting NON-VIOLENTLY.

In thanksgiving to life, I pledge to overcome FEAR
which is the root of all violence by looking at whatever I fear as an opportunity
and, thus, COURAGEOUSLY to lay the foundation for a peaceful future.

6 comments:

Carrie Wilson Link said...

What's better than that?? Thanks so much for sharing the amazing pledge!

Snotty McSnotterson said...

I like this a lot--I got to your blog from... someone's profile, I think! :)

What a wonderful pledge.

ammogirl said...

I pledge to overcome fear...and thus courageously lay the foundation for a peaceful future.

Wow...that says so much. If we as a country could collectively get over our fear, it would certainly be a courageous step towards a peaceful future.

Cheryl said...

Kari,
I love this, it gets to the heart of the matter. We would all be so much better off if we took this pledge. I don't understand why more people can't see this, peace and love should be completely what the future is about.

Deb said...

Beautiful. Thank you for sharing the gift of this.

Michelle O'Neil said...

Non-viloence.

Love.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...