Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Lost in Space

Well, not exactly. Actually, I've been spending my time working full time at the girls' school helping the teachers order and unpack all of their new supplies for the upcoming school year. School starts in less than two weeks and we spent the summer doubling the number of classrooms we have, so we are all scrambling to get ready in time. I'm a half-time employee, but all bets are off right now - all hands on deck!

Every night I come home exhausted and overwhelmed by the sheer amount of stuff I have yet to do, making dinner, laundry, giving the poor neglected dog some attention, and squeezing in some quality time with Bubba and the girls. We spend our weekends running around getting the rest of the errands done that we didn't manage to get to during the week. I can't wait for the first day of school so I can stop working and get back to my own life.

Because I'm too tired to blog anything more substantial, I thought I would post the titles of some of my summer reading.

A friend gave me "Garden Spells" by Sarah Addison Allen. It's a terrific fictional account of the history of a family who tends a garden full of special powers. A quick and thoroughly enjoyable read!

I stumbled on a book by Diana Abu-Jaber called "Origin" and found myself completely sucked in by the mystery and intrigue despite the slightly sci-fi tendencies. By the end I was determined to find more books written by this woman who has a wonderful way with language.

The next book I read was her memoir entitled "The Language of Baklava" which had me rolling on the floor with laughter and cringing with embarrassment for the things she endured as a teenager at the hands of her obnoxious, well-meaning father.

I went back to fiction with "The Friday Night Knitting Club" by Kate Jacobs and sailed through this fun tale of a group of women and their emerging relationships with each other. It really made me wish I knitted.

I'm in the middle of "Reviving Ophelia" by Mary Pipher right now. It's a great book for anyone who is raising a daughter. Ms. Pipher has an amazing perspective on the way our media-saturated culture affects and labels girls and first-hand accounts of their experiences during adolescence. Scary!

Please don't give up on me. I'll be back with more regularity as soon as school starts.

6 comments:

Carrie Wilson Link said...

I promise not to give up on you. Ever. I promise not to forget, either.

Eileen said...

Thanks for more great book tips. I loved the ones you mentioned before.

It is funny how unsettled and crazy a school can look a few weeks before school starts, but be all pulled together on opening day.

I hope you get to rest up and have some me time soon.

Could never give up on you...never.

XOXOXO

Irene said...

I'll not give up on you. I just found you. I'll be patient and wait. Don't work too hard.

Suzy said...

Ditto the Linkster!!!!

Love,

Suzy

Deb said...

So nice to read your words, and to know we're pulling from the same reading radar. I've read and loved all of these, except for Diana AbuJabar. Guess I'll be getting hers next.

I'm here. Missing you.

Jess said...

I'm just catching up here, been a bit out of the loop for a while. I read Crescent, by Diana Abu-Jaber. You should try that one, I liked it a lot. I want to read Origin. And then take a class with her at PSU. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...