Monday, April 14, 2008

Trapped


In nearly every sense of the word, I am trapped. The flight home from England was fine - I was lucky to be booked on two of the few flights that weren't cancelled by American Airlines this weekend. Whew! But as the plane began its descent into my home airport, an incredible pressure began building in my ears. Yawning, chewing gum, shifting my jaw from side to side - nothing worked. By the time the wheels grazed the tarmac lightning bolts of pain were shooting up and down the sides of my face and neck, causing me to hold my head and moan.

I managed to make it to the baggage claim area and hail a taxi for the midnight ride home. I apologized to the very friendly driver for not being able to hear a word he was saying and concentrated on not losing my airplane food-dinner in the back seat. By Saturday morning, Bubba had to drive me to our local urgent care facility because I was so dizzy and nauseous I couldn't stand at all by myself. The pain was so intense I was ready to claw the skin off of my face. The lovely doctor dropped numbing drops into my ear canals, gave me an antibiotic and some Vicodin as well as a shot to stop the dry heaves, and said I'd feel better in a few days. Probably. As she peered into my ears with her otoscope, she drew in a sharp breath and said, "Wow - these nearly ruptured! There is a lot of blood behind those eardrums."

It's Monday. I have no appetite and the food I do put into my mouth tastes very odd. I can get my right ear to pop in small crackles several times a day, but my left ear feels as though it has completely disappeared from my face. I can't hear much of anything unless it happens to be a high-pitched noise such as the dog barking or the microwave beeping. Those particular noises have me climbing the walls. I can't stand for more than five minutes at a time without the room spinning around me and now and then sharp spikes of pain jab me in the ear.

The good news is that the girls have been refraining from fighting with each other all weekend so that their shrieks don't hurt my ears. Bubba has been a terrific nurse, taking the girls to school and packing their lunches, making sure I have Gatorade and ice chips and don't have to answer the phone. The dog is my faithful companion, as are the two lovely kitties who missed me while I was away, and I'm not expected to do much.

As nice as that all is/was, I'm a little bored and terrifically frustrated at this point, so if you have any extra healing ju-ju, please send it this way so I can get on with it. Thanks!

9 comments:

megan said...

Jujujujujujujuju...god that sucks. But... WELCOME HOME : ) Was it Fabu? Did you eat a banger? Did you drink too much just once?

Suzy said...

All the healing jujus you will ever need are being sent.

Welcome home... Hope you had a great time and will look for photos to be posted.

Love you.

Suzy

Miss Devylish said...

Oh sweetie.. I'm so sorry! That's horrible! Are you feeling any better today at all? Tell me if there's anything I can do - and give my love to S and the girls. I'm so glad he's there. I love you and hope you get better quick like but take advantage of the rest! xo

Terry Whitaker said...

Welcome Home, huh! It's always so difficult to travel anymore--so sorry you are under the weather.

Deb said...

Sending you all the healing energy I can. So sorry you're going through this. I'm looking forward to seeing/hearing about your trip. Glad to have you back.

Carrie Wilson Link said...

What about decongestants? Have you tried those?

I had 5 holy people send you healing ju-ju at 1:30 today. Did you feel it?

kario said...

I did feel it! At precisely 1:30 I was sitting in the office of a lovely ENT who told me my options were two: wait 4-6 weeks for the fluid to resolve itself, or allow her to pierce my eardrum with an 8" needle to let the fluid out. Wanna guess which one I chose?

POP! The fluid came spurting out and, eighteen hours later it is still draining. The terrible pressure is gone, although I'm still deaf in that ear. I'm hoping to be back to 'normal' tomorrow after one more day of taking it easy (read: laundry, grocery shopping, reassembling the house after being gone and Daddy being in charge for a week plus).

AHHHHHHHH!

Michelle O'Neil said...

Ouch! Hope you are feeling better by now!

Jenny said...

Ow. Ow. Yuck. I hope you are better!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...