Monday, March 17, 2008

When it Rains, it Pours

Small snapshot of my life over the past seven days:

  • the woman I job-share with was afflicted with this horrible flu that is going around and lay ill in her bed for a week. I was crazy enough to offer to do "our" job for the both of us all week long.
  • my eldest daughter's anxiety came roaring back at the orthodontist's office and I was not terrifically helpful in offering her solace and comfort.
  • my father, having recently finished 22 radiation treatments in a row on his brain is now experiencing excruciating pain in his hip bones and has two blood clots in his left calf muscle.
  • I have given myself a hard-and-fast deadline to finish the first draft of my book before I leave the country for a week to visit my dear friend on April 5th
  • a pipe on our sump pump broke and over the weekend we discovered that for weeks it has been shooting a geyser of water up underneath our house, ruining several spots on our hardwood floors.
  • I superglued three of my fingers together this morning trying to fix my daughter's St. Patrick's Day necklace. Acetone hasn't taken it off so far and it's past noon.

Sounds terrible, huh? Nah, this morning the girls and I put on some soothing music, sat in a circle on the living room floor and held hands. We took several deep breaths, relaxed a bit, and I handed out notecards to them that held special messages for them to carry throughout the day. I told them I hoped they would remember how strong they are, how brave they are, how important it is to laugh, and how good it felt to sit in this circle together, stroking the soft, smooth skin of each other's hands.

"But most of all I want you to remember this," I started to say as my eldest turned up the corner of her mouth, "I love you two more than anything."

"I knew you were going to say that," she said with a smirk.

Good.

10 comments:

Suzy said...

What a great way to start the day with the girls- in a circle of love and peace.

Love you.
Suzy

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Can't decide whether to laugh about the Super glue, CRY about the touching circle time, or RANT about water damage! Think. I'll. Do. All. Three.

Kim said...

Ditto Carrie. And in my humble opinion, you are a terrific mom.

Good thing you used the superglue AFTER the touching circle, no? That might have been just a little too much unity.

All good wishes for your father.

Jenny said...

Aw.

paul maurice martin said...

Tremendously helpful to have loving family ties, I think especially with the younger generation, in facing these sorts of situations.

Deb said...

I love this about you - that you always without fail return to what's really important. You don't do things by half-measure ever from what I can see. Whether it's parenting your daughters or gluing your fingers together. You go!


Love you.

Eileen said...

Your an amazing mother, and your girls know it. I love how despite all the stress, you took the time to focus on the blessings and strengths and most importantly the love. You have your priorities exactly right, even if there are times you don't feel like it.
Love you.

Jerri said...

You surf the waves of super glue and ruined hardwood and return, again and again, to the core of what matters.

The girl who experienced your frustration at the ortho's office knows--knows beyond words--that you love them more than anything.

Yep. That's the core.

riversgrace said...

Wow, you may just be changing the course of your entire ancestral history by holding that simple circle with/for your girls. So beautiful and promising.

Miss Devylish said...

I think you're the best mommy ever! xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...