Thursday, March 20, 2008

New Understanding


Balance. Fairness. Justice. Equality. These are a few of my favorite things. As the middle kid in my family, as a Libra, I have always found it important to spend time and energy 'fixing' things in an effort to bring them to balance. Back to the center.

I want the time I have for myself to feel as abundant as the time I have for my husband and my children. I want the people in my life to experience at least one tremendously satisfying moment for each of the devastating, difficult ones they have lived through. When I envision balance and harmony in my mind's eye I see those scales sitting still. Their edges dead even, the pendulum not swinging a millimeter. That see-saw in the park? I want it to be perfectly balanced so that neither side has an advantage over the other.

As I sat yesterday, contemplating the kaleidoscope of events that have colored my life the past several months, the sludge began to settle. At first when the bartender opens the tap and lets the Guinness flow into a pint glass it is all swirly murkiness. As soon as she sets it on the counter the magic begins. The rich, dark liquid begins to fall to the bottom and the cream rises in undulating waves to the top. I never tire of watching as the two dance their mystical routine. The dance is never the same on this path to finding balance between the two, but balance is always achieved.

I can't hope to find a sacred space of balance without movement. If the scales never tip, the balance means nothing. The teeter-totter is useless without someone to ride it up and down. And even if it is tipped one way today, chances are even that tomorrow when the children get down to head for the swings, it will tip the other way. Nature will find balance with or without me. For every void of space, every painful experience, there will be some positive that rushes in to fill that place. My job is not to force the balance. It is only to be open enough to recognize it when it comes.

5 comments:

Carrie Wilson Link said...

You are wise, wise and more wise! LOVE this!

Eileen said...

So very true, and a life lesson that I need to be reminded of time and time again. This is really beautiful Kari.
XOXOX

Michelle O'Neil said...

If we lived closer, I'd take you out for that beer. My treat.

Deb said...

Beautifully written! I want the teeter-totter in the picture! You know the sitting still in the middle drives some of us crazy. We need to make the damn thing move so we feel alive.

Scott from Oregon said...

Guiness is the only beer where the bubbles don't rise,but FALL down the inside of the glass...

(Well, there migh be someimitation stouts that do it as well, but not AS WELL).

Why the bubbles fall is a great mystery that has been solved...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...