Sunday, February 17, 2008

P is for Precocious


Oral surgeon: So, do you know why you're here today?

Precocious 8 year old: Just to meet you and, like, talk about what you're going to do. But you're not going to do any surgery today or anything.

OS: You're right. So, do you have any questions for me?

P: Yeah. Om, how are you going to keep my mouth open? Cuz' usually I sleep with my mouth closed.

OS: We have something called a bite blocker that is rubber and we'll have you bite down on it with your back teeth before you fall asleep.

P: Cool. So, am I going to have stitches in my mouth?

OS: We will put some small stitches in there, but they will dissolve, so you don't have to come back to have me take them out.

P: Dissolve? What the heck?

OS: Yep. They are made out of catgut.

P: Cool! I'm going to have cat guts in my mouth. That's kind of gross.

OS: The only thing I am a little concerned about is that sometimes when we put little girls to sleep they wake up feeling a little sick to their stomachs. You're very petite and I want to make sure the medicine doesn't make you feel like you need to throw up.

P: Don't worry. I'll just lean my head towards Daddy if I need to barf.
__________________________________________________________

She's having a total of eight teeth extracted from her gums in an effort to find enough space in her mouth for the permanent teeth she already has. She's seen the x-rays, understands the procedure enough to explain it to her father, and is looking forward to subsisting on a diet of pudding and soup and ice cream for a few days. As we walked through the parking lot toward the car after our visit I asked Little Miss Precocious what she thought of the surgeon.

"I liked him. He seems to really like kids and he told me the truth. That's all I needed."

Good girl.

10 comments:

Deb said...

Good mommy for giving her the truth to work with. What a kid she is! Praying that the surgery goes well for both mom and daughter.

Suzy said...

You've started her off on the right foot- barfing on Bubba.

And oh yeh, the truth thing too.

Love you!

Suzy

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Ditto, Suzy!

And, Little Miss Precocious said a mouthful, all she needs is the truth. Isn't that all any of us are really after?

As someone who's been there, you may want to think of things that aren't freezing cold that she can eat, the extreme temperatures can be excruciating after dental work. Applesauce, yogurt, fruit smoothies without any ice cream, that kind of thing. Maybe slip some Ensure in a drink, too? Especially if she tends to be petite - keep her energy up, it's hard to find protein on a liquid diet.

Nancy said...

The truth wrapped in kindness is the only way to go. Been there with my daughter and the truth is empowering. Deception leads only to distrust and dental phobia. We'll keep her in our thoughts.

Jess said...

Great attitude she has there.

Hope she enjoys the liquid diet. And the catgut. :)

Eileen said...

Love it! She's too smart. I hope the surgery goes well, as well as the diet. Sounds like she'll be just fine.
XOXO

Michelle O'Neil said...

Wow. Good for her. Smart girl.

Kim said...

I just love this. That girl has it ALL going on.

Jerri said...

How great is this girl?

Very, very. At 8, she knows all we need is kindness, the truth, and someone we can trust if we need to barf.

Love her. And you.

Jenny said...

That's so funny about about the barf. Hope the surgery goes well!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...