Thursday, February 21, 2008

Obsessions of the Week

I just finished a terrific book and I'm in the middle of another one. Actually, I think, technically, you could say I'm in the middle of three books right now, but that's the way I do things. I almost always have one fiction "brain candy" book going, one nonfiction "make-me-a-better-writer/person" book going, and one book club book going.


The non-fiction selection I've just finished is Barbara Kingsolver's "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" and I am inspired! Not only is BK a terrific writer with an easy style and good sense of humor, she is a go-getter. Don't worry, I'm not moving to Appalachia to start my own farm and live off the land, but I am dedicated to eating more local fare. Lucky for me farmer's markets abound in my region and this week, at least, Spring has sprung.


The fiction book I'm deep in the middle of was one that I thought would qualify as brain candy but has instead turned into a "make-me-a-better-person" book and I simply cannot put it down. Kris Radish (whom I have never heard of before I spotted this hot pink paperback sitting on the shelf at my local used bookstore) has written a novel about a group of women and the incredible bond they share. Prompted by one of the member's personal crisis, they embark on a walk that lasts days and days and acts as a meditation not only for each one of them individually and together, but for the members of their community as well. This is definitely going to be one of those books that I will hate to finish.

Because Bubba is out of town, I decided to try a new dessert. He indulges me all too often in my search for new flavors of ice cream, but he draws the line at sorbet and frozen yogurt. Because I have a sweet tooth the size of a T. Rex, I am always looking for something not quite so fattening and I usually experiment while he is safely on a business trip. While I'm not certain the new dessert I have come across is less fattening, I'm certain I'm glad I don't have to share it with anyone this week. I know that sounds awful, but as I sat on the couch last night, book in hand, towel wrapped around the carton of bliss in my lap savoring each and every mouthful of silky chocolateyness, the thought of taking a bite and then passing it off to anyone was ridiculous. So, you ask, what is this dessert that has inspired such passion? Luna & Larry's Coconut Bliss. Ice cream made out of coconut milk (no cow's milk, soy milk, rice milk, no preservatives, no cane sugar) and flavoring. They have several flavors: vanilla, dark chocolate, cherry amaretto, coconut (duh), mint and cappuccino to name a few. So far, I've only indulged in the dark chocolate and, being a total chocolate snob, I can say it is FABULOUS! Creamy, rich, chocolatey, absolutely satisfying. And, it's made in Eugene, Oregon. That qualifies as 'local', doesn't it? Sorta?

7 comments:

Deb said...

What a lovely decadent post. I'm drooling, both for the books and for the Bliss. I love both authors and have not read either book. It looks like my piles are about to get even bigger. So glad you're enjoying yourself in this way!

ammogirl said...

Oh my gosh. I am currently on a choc/coconut kick and that sounds SO good right now.

Thanks for the book recommendations! They actually come at a good time; I was thinking of trying to start a virtual book club where we could all 'swap' books. We have such a small book store here, and it's so hard to browse Amazon or B&N and pick something new--I'm the type of person who has to see and touch a book before I buy it.

Hmmm...I need to think about this this weekend.

Eileen said...

I appreciate the book recommendations. I already have B. Kingsolver's book, but now I really am motivated to read it. The other one, I almost bought, but put down. Now I have to get it. It looked so good, but I was trying to be so good. The only way I can be truly good is to stay out of a book store or off or Amazon and that is not going to happen! I look forward to getting it, just the kind of book I need right now.

Suzy said...

It's a contest on whether to read or write, read or write. Doing both would be great, but there is that thing called "life" that interferes with our passions.

Yes, your ice cream is local. It's in your house right? That's local enough for me...

Love you
Suzy

megan said...

Mmmm.. I'm going to have to splurge..man I haven't had a treat in so long that was just for me and not kids!

Carrie Wilson Link said...

If it comes from Eugene, Oregon, not only is it local, it's automatically awesome.

Michelle O'Neil said...

I think it totally qualifies as local. So good of you to support your community in this way.

Been eying Kingsolver's book for a while now. Maybe I have to pick it up.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...