Thursday, February 07, 2008

The Cave


I am standing just inside the opening, but after the first few steps there's a jog to the right. No light filters around this corner to where I am standing. I am barefoot and the cool, thick mud is pushing up between my toes. It feels good - therapeutic, even, to be standing here in the darkness with this rich, dark, organic earth surrounding my toes, wrapping them each individually.

Somehow I find myself coming upon a place of light. A room, circular and lit from above. A small clear pool of water sits in the center. The walls slope up and around to form a dome-like ceiling and lush green fern fronds dot the rocks, curling over protectively. I step barefoot through the warm golden sand, giving the pond a wide berth and staying close to the rock walls. My fingertips reach up to brush a dewdrop that hangs from the tip of a fern and brush the black-pepper-like seeds lined up along the underside of the leaves.

At one point I realize my feet have been breaded. The mud caked on them has become coated with the fine sand and I suddenly feel the need to cleanse them. My eyes dart to the pristine circle of water and just as quickly look away. I can't put my filthy feet into that gorgeous, undisturbed pool for such a silly notion.

In the next instant I am shoulder deep in the golden water. I haven't soiled it at all. It is so much deeper than I imagined. I am naked, clean, floating. No, not floating. Held. All at once I realize how good this feels. How safe I am. I am held in love.

I am held in love.

6 comments:

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Absolutely lovely metaphor!

Suzy said...

Absolutely held in love....

Love you.

Suzy

Michelle O'Neil said...

Wow Kari.

This is beautiful.

Jerri said...

Beautiful and True.

You are completely held in love.

Deb said...

The closer you get to the truth, the more gripping and beautiful your writing becomes.

Yes, you are. Held in love.

Miss Devylish said...

That was lovely. xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...