Wednesday, December 05, 2007

The Pineapple Express


It has been confirmed. I am a true Northwest girl - born and bred. The trees packed in tight along the hills, lakes and mountains breaking up the landscape no matter which direction you turn, rain.

The metal latch of the leash clips on to the dog's collar and his feet dance with anticipation. There is a break in the rain and blue sky is visible directly above us. Off to the west, the color is charcoal grey. The perfect backdrop for the multicolored arch that stretches above downtown. The streets and sidewalks are shiny and dotted with puddles that swoosh as the cars rush through them, one after the next. Closing my eyes I let my ears fill with the sound of the rainstorm that came with the morning and my nostrils fill with the sweet, clear scent of asphalt washed clean.

The dog's feet find every reservoir of rainwater as determinedly as mine avoid them. There is a bounce in our rhythm and a grin spreads across my face. I love the rain. The sound of it pounding down on the roof in the dark of night. The fruity smell that comes just before an electrical storm. The feel of it. It is warm today - in the 50s, but cold prickles begin to poke my face. The drops start small but within half a block they are 1/2 carat wonders, creating rivers of tear-like drips down my cheeks. By the time we reach the end of the block my ponytail is stuck to the back of my neck and the dog stops to shake himself off every three steps or so. Our pace does not change. I am still smiling. People with umbrellas walk by, hurrying to find some refuge indoors. The two of us continue to bounce along, feeling the spreading wetness. My bangs harbor individual drops of water, heavy like ripe fruit. My eyelashes sparkle with them. The dog continues to shake himself dry, the fur on his back ruffled and rumpled like a teen idol.

We walk for another half mile before we reach the car, soaked through. The car smells of wet dog, but I am warm and contented from our walk. The dog walks in circles on the back seat and settles into a heavy slumber on the ride home. The windshield wipers beat a steady back-and-forth and I blink rain from my lashes onto my cheeks. What a beautiful beginning to the day.

6 comments:

Scott from Oregon said...

My dogs want to come in and jump on the warm bed this time of year


AFTER they've been out in the rain and mud.

Deb said...

Careful - you'll have people wanting to move here FOR the rain. I loved every dripping word of this!

Carrie Wilson Link said...

I loved every dripping word of this, too! And I am TOTALLY a NW girl, too, wouldn't live anywhere else!

Maddy said...

Newbie visiting from Suzy [aka Maria! - don't tell her I said that]

You make it sound all so attractive [apart from the soggy doggy!]
Cheers


This is my calling card or link"Whittereronautism"until blogger comments get themselves sorted out.

Miss Devylish said...

If it wasn't so cold, I'd do more rain walking myself.. it's the chill tho that gets to me.. but you reminded me why I do love the rain here so much. xoxo

Suzy said...

First of all, Maddy's in BIG TROUBLE....

I love the rain as does my dog Penny.

She will sit on the deck staring up at it...

Woody won't get his feet wet...

I'm there with you girl!

Love you
Suzy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...