Friday, December 21, 2007

I Am Woman, Hear Me Roar


I've been 'roared' at by Holly which is apparently, a good thing. It seems to be essentially the same as being tagged to add my two cents. The subject this time is three things that I think make for good writing. I can't promise to say anything terribly original, but here goes:

  1. I love it when people write what they know. A friend of mine once accused me of reading only depressing books (you know who you are, my dear) and I will admit that many of the memoirs I've read are sad tales. The story doesn't have to span a long period of time so long as the details ring true. I want to know that, fiction or non-fiction, the writer felt what they were writing about when they were writing it. That is what makes me feel it when I'm reading it. That's what I love.

  2. Energy. The story has to have energy. I want to know that it will continue to move along and progress. I love stories that I can't put down. I had a professor in college who used to walk into trees because he read as he walked, careening off sidewalks, tripping over 100-year-old maple roots and not even noticing. That is how engrossed he was in the reading material. Gimme that kind of book anyday!

  3. Please don't make it predictable. Please don't follow a formula. Surprise me. Give me a reason to turn each and every page, holding my breath in suspense. Find a way to twist my expectations upside-down until I can't even come up with a guess for what's next.

I'm roaring at Miss Devylish, Ammogirl, AELEOPE, and My Own Woman.

4 comments:

Maddy said...

You read depressing things that you think might define you? What does it mean if you read whodunnits like I do? Do I really want to know?
Best wishes

This is my calling card or link"Whittereronautism"which takes you straight to my new blog.

Eileen said...

EXACTLY!!! Excellent list!! When we are in a book store, my friend, Kim, will always pick up a Memoir and say, "here is one you will like, it is a depressing story." She totally does not get it. The story has to ring true and the writer really feels what she is writing. I have such respect (an very obvious soft spot) for people who write memoirs, take a risk, who have the courage to put it out there, open, honest, from the heart.
Great tag!
XOXO

ammogirl said...

Oh gee. Ohhhh gee. I hate the ones that make you think. It's gonna be a few days...

Miss Devylish said...

I'm working on a listy post that I haven't yet managed to get out yet. I'll make sure I get this one in there. :) xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...