Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Right Now

"The word for yesterday and the word for tomorrow are the same in the Hindi language." Anu Garg's (http://wordsmith.org/anu/) voice streams out from my radio as I navigate the wet streets from school to home this morning.

My local NPR station is doing an hour on word origins and they have invited the founder of the popular Wordsmith/A Word A Day emails to join them in the discussion. My brain slowly begins to churn his words around, folding them in to the crevices in my brain and allowing them to seep in to my consciousness as the voices in the background fade away.

To me, this means that both yesterday and tomorrow are equal in Hindi. Equal in that they are NOT today. Equally unknowable and uncontrollable and perhaps not worth dwelling on. Considering that I've spent most of my life in a concerted effort to plan for tomorrow so that I don't replay the events of yesterday, I find this incredibly interesting. Considering that I am right now attempting to spend more energy realizing and enjoying the moments of my days as they happen and less energy agonizing over and anticipating future events, I find this comforting. The origins of the words 'yesterday' and 'tomorrow' in English arise from the negative - the fact that neither of these days is today. I think that somewhere over the generations many of us has lost the true meaning of these words. I'm going to do my best to remember their Hindi translation.

7 comments:

Michelle O'Neil said...

Yesterday and tomorrow are equal, and not as important as today.

Interesting.

MY OWN WOMAN... said...

Interesting indeed. I love the concept. The only thing we have is "Right Now," everything else is uncertain.

Carrie Wilson Link said...

You go, girl! This is a hard, but worthy struggle I've discovered! You need to read Eckhart Tolle's, Power of Now - you'll love it!

Casdok said...

Certainly something to think on.

origin said...

One of my favorite quotes is by Anthony Robbins: "The past does not equal the future." It seems that the Hindi have a different take on this. I'll have to study on that for a bit.

Great post.

Deb said...

Thank you for a timely and powerful reminder that all we have is now and who we are now. And now is short!

Miss Devylish said...

I really like that idea sugar.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...