Friday, November 09, 2007

Food (or Drink) for Thought


The best man is like water.Water is good; it benefits all things and does not compete with them.It dwells in lowly places that all disdain.This is why it is so near to Tao.
Lao-tzu, The Way of Lao-tzu Chinese philosopher (604 BC - 531 BC)


Maybe this is why I love the rain. Being able to sit in a warm spot with a cup of tea and just listen to the sound of the raindrops falling on the roof is one of my favorite things. The only thing that trumps it is sitting on a deck overlooking the ocean and letting the sound of the rushing waves fill my ears. Lying in a deep bathtub, standing underneath the soft spray of a showerhead, swimming in a clear pool that's being replenished by a powerful waterfall, holding an icicle in my fingertips and marveling at its clear magic - all of those things inspire in me a golden warmth and a peacefulness I cannot otherwise achieve.


What is it about water? Is it that it does exist everywhere? That it sustains all of life? Is it the way it holds things - some of them floating on top, some of them suspended in the middle, others sinking to the bottom? Is it the way it is capable of transforming itself into other substances - its flexibility? The fact that it can be under incredibly hot temperatures and turn to steam, waiting for the ideal conditions that will turn it back into its normal state is astonishing. It can also exist under extremely low temperatures as ice and simply wait.


It flows downhill without resisting. If it finds a rock in its path it simply splits itself and continues around it. If it comes up against an impassable barrier, it pools. Water is patient and flexible. Water nourishes. Water changes things subtly and slowly over time, consistently wearing away objects that seem impossibly firm and resolute simply by being consistent. It is not in a hurry. It is different things to different beings without changing its nature in any way.


Hmmmm. No wonder I love the rain.


4 comments:

Eileen said...

I love water too! Everything about it. I was so happy when we finally bought this house on the lake, it is so soothing to just sit and look at the water. It washes away the stress ot the day and washes over my soul and fills it with peace and harmony. To me, water is all about tranquility. The way it flows, ispires and totally takes me away in my thoughts. I use to wonder if it was because for 9 months I floated around in my mother's womb, but somehow, I doubt that was very peaceful.
As for the rain, it also brings me such a safe and comfortable feeling when I am warm in my bed and I hear it pounding on the roof. I just love it.
This was a beautiful post,and really touched something in me. Thank you.

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Me too. I love water, and I love you.

riversgrace said...

Me three. Rivers, water, movement, fluidity, grace.

Deb said...

It's all this and more. Beautifully said.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...