Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Hugging the Porcupine


"Why the f**k," you ask, "would you want to do something like that?"
The fact is, I don't. It is completely counterintuitive to look at this little beastie and have your first instinct be to pick it up and give it even a little cuddle. Unfortunately, I'm not going to give it a little cuddle. I've already got it in my arms and I'm squeezing it like it's the last piece of chocolate I might ever see again.
I've come to the conclusion that rocking this little guy in my arms, crushing him to my chest is the only way I'm ever going to be rid of the quills. First I have to embrace him and feel those sharp little buggers pierce my skin. I have to let them get through the armor I have been wearing and fill me with holes. Only then can I put him down and pull the needles out one by one. I'll look at them, respect them for what they are, and throw them away. With any luck, the holes they leave behind will let the light in and when it's all said and done I'll have me a little bald pet porcupine who doesn't frighten me a bit.

8 comments:

Jerri said...

All together now, Porcupine pie, porcupine pie. Vanilla soup. A double scoop, please.

And don't worry. There'll always be chocolate. I'll send more if you run low.

Eileen said...

You my sweet friend, are already full of so much light! But pull out those quills, face them, respect them or despise them...so whatever you need to do to get rid of them. You are so brave and strong and ready. Most importantly, you are not alone. NEVER.
XOXOXO

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Yes. Exactly. What we resist persists.

Suzy said...

Think of the relief you will feel once you do get the
needles out of your skin.

Don't throw the quills away-puit them on a shelf somewhere and remind yourself that they are badges of honor.

Love
Suzy

Scott from Oregon said...

Don't let it put holes in your boobies, though...

megan said...

Thank Scott for the comic relief! Lmao. OK back to serious...loving yourself first is difficult to say little. Especially as women, caretakers and those who are required to nurture others either by choice or expectation. There is no need to torture yourself. I can see working through Xhit but in the end how we treat ourself is overlooked because we don't know how. Self preservation is different than selfishness. Plus when we learn to make ourselves happy we teach our children. This has been really hard for me personally. I'm still learning. Omg - i'm probably way off base! Oh well, love ya Kari!

megan said...

oh man, i don't think i'll comment again. that's kind of embarassing. writing excercises=ick. i'm better at math.

Deb said...

I love that you blogged this! I have a picture of you so full of quill holes that there is nothing left but light. Porcupine fur is unbelievably soft without the quills. Really. Don't American Indians have symbolic importance applied to quills? Might be worth checking out.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...