Friday, October 26, 2007

Don't Ask Where This Came From...


I am one of those people who get songs stuck in my head really easily. Once there, they attach themselves like velcro to the wrinkles in my brain and it takes a lot to dislodge them. Unfortunately for me, every other member of my household is fully aware of this facet of my personality and it gives them endless joy to exploit it.


Top 5 Songs Most Likely to Cycle in My Brain:


1. Star Wars theme song (the kids particularly like to hum this one to me first thing in the morning and see how many hours it takes me to purge it)

2. "peanut, peanut butter.....jelly" (I don't actually know any more of the words to this song and I suspect it comes from some absurd advertising jingle, but I couldn't say for sure)

3. "The Immigrant Song" by Led Zeppelin

4. "Walkin' in a Winter Wonderland" (the farther the season is from Christmas, the more likely it is to be found in my head)

5. Bonanza theme song


On a similar note, my physical therapist and I happened to be reminiscing about our high school years the other day and we began sharing notes on the rock concerts we'd attended. Let me just say that the vast majority of concerts I went to were in the mid to late 1980s and many of them I went to with my older brother. My mother thought we'd be good chaperones for each other and, I suppose we were, but now that I'm a parent I've gotta say she was much more lenient than I will be. Just a sampling of the bands we saw:


  • Yes

  • Rush

  • Van Halen

  • ZZ Top

  • The Scorpions

  • Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

  • AC/DC

  • Kiss

  • Journey

  • REO Speedwagon

Lest you think I was only a 'rocker chick', I also saw Depeche Mode, Orchestral Maneuvers in the Dark (OMD), REM, and INXS. This was back when concert tickets could be had for $15 at most and you didn't have to pay for parking. Sadly, I suspect my girls won't have these same experiences at $65 a pop and an additional $20 to park. Guess they'll have to settle for pay per view...

5 comments:

Michelle O'Neil said...

My friend KC and I call each other or simply e-mail, the titles of songs to stick in each other's heads. My favorite one for her is some drippy 70's song, called Pilot of the Airwaves.

DO you know it?

Are you singing it in your head?

"You don't have to play it but I hope you'll do your best."

Ha!

And of course there is always the Black Eyed Peas, for Carrie.

Carrie Wilson Link said...

KEY-RIST! First Michelle gets that damned song stuck in my head for days on end, then takes all the fun out of me getting it stuck in your head! WTF?

Suzy said...

God, you guys are young....

Let's chip in for a poster for Carrie of the BEP's!!!!

Love

Suzy

Deb said...

So funny! I'm with Suzy. Your Cheatin' Heart anyone?

Jerri said...

Rent has taken up residence in my head lately.

"Five hundred, twenty-five thousand, eight hundred minutes. How do you measure. . . ."

Talk about lo-oo-ve. Talk about lo-oo-ve.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...