Monday, August 27, 2007

Ode to Peanut

I have been absent of late. We have friends in from South America and are so busy visiting, practicing our Spanish, and generally entertaining each other that I haven't been writing or reading blogs. I fully expect that once they leave I'll be back to my normal routine, but for now I'll post a quickie.

Because of the rotten cold weather last week, we decided to pack up the car and drive East until we found the sunshine. Once we found it, we settled in to a friend's cabin and spent the next several days swimming, horseback riding, and eating ourselves silly. By the time we were headed for home, I was missing my kitties desperately (the dog got invited along for the ride). We arrived home to two affection-starved felines who had lost all pretense of independence. They wanted some love. Lucky for them, there were seven pairs of hands willing to oblige.

As I fell into bed at the late, late hour of 9:30 my big beautiful tabby cat followed me. S. calls him my boyfriend because of his preference for my attention late at night. He settled in next to me and began purring his loud, smooth, rolling purr. I scratched his favorite spots around his ears and he repaid me by rasping his perfectly pink tongue across my other hand.

Sometime around 2:00 AM he returned. Not fully awake, I began stroking his short silky fur and he walked in long ovals, rubbing the top of his head along my arm over and over again. We spent ten or fifteen minutes in this way, assuring each other of our mutual affection and it occurred to me that a cat is the only creature who could wake me at this hour and receive praise for it. I am kind but not terrifically patient with my kids at such a time and should the dog wake me with barking at 2:00 I am generally not pleased. There is something about knowing that Peanut has sought me out that makes me feel honored. He reciprocates my affection quietly and, aside from a gentle nudge, is not demanding. He lets me know that he is pleased by purring and almost always snuggles in to fall asleep within 15 minutes. I am fully present when we spend these minutes together, not distracted by daily tasks or other people. I love that I am not worried about falling asleep again or fulfilling someone or something else's needs. In these moments the simple act of petting Peanut is completely satisfying for both of us.

9 comments:

Jess said...

Oh, I miss my cat so much after reading that. So well put. Yes, cats have special powers...

Have a great time in the sun!

Deb said...

They are so magical and such a gift. I can't imagine life without. Peanut sounds like a great boyfriend! It's nice to see you back here. Glad you're having some fun.

ammogirl said...

You're right, you know. Even though MY Peanut is a fuzzy ball of nerves, he still knows he will get special love from me whenever and wherever.

Welcome home, by the way. I'm glad you had an awesome time.

Eileen said...

Welcome home, you were missed here in the land of the bloggers too!! I am so glad you and your family had some special time together, in the sun. It sounded wonderful.
Glad cats are happy again, I know what you mean about those middle of the night visits. That purring sound can be so comforting.

grammer said...

Lovely writing. I dare say the words purr on the page.

Isn't petting one of the greatest meditations?

Thank you! xo t

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Yes, totally meditative! NOTHING meditative about a dog, husband or kids waking you up in the night!

Michelle O'Neil said...

You're a better woman than I.

Love the cats but they are locked downstairs at night. I've never been a good sleeper, and by the time I got back to sleep it would be time for the four year old's nightly visit.

Glad you are enjoying your guests.

Jerri said...

Good to hear from you. Have fun with your guests.

Miss Devylish said...

Me and Emma are that way too.. even if I know she just puked on my bedroom floor or pooped in the living room. I'll get it in the morning, I think, and she curls up next to me and I hold her little paw and we practically spoon. She's a comfort. I love that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...