Saturday, July 07, 2007

SUMMER IS HERE!

When last I left you, I was off to spend an evening with two dear friends whom I've known since I was in high school. Details of that will come later, but for now I'll let you know that we had a terrific time talking and drinking wine and parting was very sad, indeed.

Since then, I have opened my door wide to welcome summer in and am feeling like we are the poster family for the season. We drove five hours to the property my in-laws own in the Willamette Valley along the river to spend the week with family. In April, 13,000 blueberry plants found new homes in this fertile ground and my brother-in-law and his new wife are determined to realize their dream of simplifying their fast-paced lives and becoming organic farmers. My daughters toured the property via exciting rides on Grandpa's ATV, learned to skip rocks down by the river, and ate their weight in popsicles. Most afternoons found us sipping iced tea in the shade or playing croquet, resting up from our mornings spent floating the river in innertubes, building forts in the haystacks in the barn, or weeding the two acre vegetable garden. Dinners consisted of barbecues and greens freshly harvested and good red wine.

The dog came along and was thoroughly spoiled, getting scraps from the dinner table and fetching sticks in the river. He traipsed through the dusty fields and cocked his head at the cows, confused at the mere sight of them, and spent his nights warning raccoons and skunks off the property.

The weather was hot and sunny, the work was shared by all, and my children went to bed so wiped out every night that they slept past their normal 6:15 wake-up calls.

Now, however, I am home and I am ready to be here. As much fun as I had, I missed my own bed and my wireless connection and the chance to sneak away for a bit of a read in a quiet corner. I am looking forward to catching up on my reading...

3 comments:

Michelle O'Neil said...

Wow Kari,

SOunds like an awesome time, but always it's good to be home.

Eileen said...

It sounds like a great vacation. The girls must have had such a wonderful time, and the dog too. Glad you are back. I missed you! Hope you get some rest and time to catch up with thing back at home. XOXO

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Where'd you go?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...