Sunday, July 08, 2007

Please Don't Take this the Wrong Way


Why am I not more upset? Remember this? The time has come, and this family I have come to love as my own, whose triumphs I celebrate and fears cause me to quake and rush to shore up the sandbags, is moving away. I am sad, very, very sad.


But as I showered this morning, wondering what today's farewell gathering will bring, I realized that I am not shattered. I will miss the impromptu meals and playdates. I will certainly not be able to speak with my dear friend about trivial concerns every day. We will have to navigate time differences and overseas operators in order to share our lives with each other, and there will be occasional trips to plan so that we can all be together. While I am certain that the number of times we see each other and the ways in which we manage to do so will change drastically, the nature of our relationship will not. My chosen sister and I have grown so much together. We have supported each other through some of the most difficult times we have ever experienced. We have grown to love each other's children and would raise them as our own if necessary. The bond of trust between us is as strong as any I have known.


I will miss them deeply. I will sob when they leave and expect to feel 'phantom pains' in the void left by their departure. But I am not sad. Not only am I secure in the knowledge that we will remain in each others' lives, I love them so much that I only want them to be happy. Because of this true, unselfish affection, I know that they have made the right decision. Their lives will be simpler for this and they will each have the opportunity to seek their own happiness unencumbered by other, more arduous obstacles. I will send them off surrounded by love and light and the hope that their new home will offer them new adventures, new friends, and a security that allows them to spread their wings. Oh, and a guest room for me to stay in occasionally...

6 comments:

grammer said...

"But I am not sad. Not only am I secure in the knowledge that we will remain in each others' lives, I love them so much that I only want them to be happy."

how many times have we kicked and screamed at goodbyes, only to find out we hadn't lost a thing? this above is such a lovely, lovely sentiment! the art of letting go. xo t

Eileen said...

True sister/friendship remains the same no matter the distance. Such a beautiful post, a tribute to a very special relationship.

Jerri said...

These are fortunate people, to have shared their lives with you so deeply. That bond will continue and deepen. Trusting your love for someone is a true gift.

Carrie Wilson Link said...

I say it still sucks. Just not the same when you don't live nearby.

kario said...

You're right, Carrie. It does suck. I cried my eyes out last night and my kids are beside themselves. Ugh.

Michelle O'Neil said...

Great attitude Kari.

You are lucky to have such friends.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...