Thursday, June 07, 2007

I Can Choose My Own Adventure!

As a kid, I loved reading these books for their endless possibilities. A fantasy scenario was laid out on the first page and at the bottom, you got to choose which path you would take. Before the story even began, the reader was warned that there was no guarantee you wouldn't fall prey to some frightening creature, find yourself in a dangerous situation that could lead to death, or not reach your ultimate goal. But the thought of exploring numerous options and being presented with the opportunity to go back and change my path if I'd gotten on one I didn't like was too much to resist.

I was always fearless in the beginning. I chose the path that I most certainly would have avoided in real life, knowing that I could have as many do-overs as I wanted to. I lived vicariously through myself, trying to be brave and avoid an abrupt ending simultaneously. I hated it when I turned to a page that marked the ending of that path. No choices set forth at the bottom of the page, just 'The End' stamped below the final paragraph. If I were reading in the car, I would turn the page away from my brother so as not to let him know I'd made a choice that ended my journey before I could go back and start it over.

My eldest daughter has discovered these books at the library and wants me to sit with her while she reads. She is intimidated by choices and asks me to make the decisions for her - living vicariously through my adventurous spirit and knowing that if we die, she can blame me. These days I choose the path I deem most risky for her benefit, hoping that she will become increasingly comfortable with the notion that it is just a story and we can go back at any time.

Although I know it is important to take into account the consequences of our decisions, for ourselves and those who surround us, experiencing these books as an adult has reminded me that I can be more courageous with my choices. I can opt to do something I'm afraid of, take a path whose end I can't be sure of, and enjoy the sights along the way. If I hit a dead end, I'll just come back and see where the other path leads me. Of course, I'm not exactly desperate to avoid the abominable snowman in my daily life, but I do tend to take the safe route, the predictable route, the habitual route. Maybe I'm up for an adventure today instead...

9 comments:

Jenny Rough said...

I forgot about those books. I loved them too!

Scott from Oregon said...

Yeah, I never understood the no reverse thingy. You can always reverse, or better yet, do a three point turn.

Jerri said...

Every day is an adventure with you as a friend.

Love.

Deb said...

Wow, Kari. It's like we've been blasted by the same energy waves. I loved reading this, and I love that you're giving your girls a safe way to trust adventures. This new-to-me concept of do-overs is awesome!

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Loved "I lived vicariously through myself..."

We had a woman attend a workshop simply because the idea of coming scared her to death. That is her motto, DO what scares you! LOVE that!

Eileen said...

I love this post! It is so true for me, I have ALWAYS taken the path that is the safest. Lately, I have been really trying to take more risks and do things I normally would not do. In most of the cases it has turned out to be a very good thing. Taking Jennifer's workshop in Ct. a few weeks ago was a HUGE risk for me, but I can honestly say, it was one of the best gifts I have ever given to myself. People who know me, can't believe I actually talked in front of a group, much less people I did not know. I also, love your point about our children. I don't want to instill my fears of taking risks, or always playing safe/controlled on them. I know why I ended up like this, they don't have to. Thanks for your post. It really got me thinking....Habitual route is such a good way to put it. I vow to have an adventure this weekend!!! XOXOX

Kim said...

Wonderful post! I love the inspiration that you're giving to your girls and to yourself.

And to me--thanks for the reminder!

Sarah said...

Yo Baby

Is this for me?!! I'm Still tying NOT to make a decision!!

All love

S xxx

Michelle O'Neil said...

Hmm... what will the next adventure be? The possibilites are endless!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...