Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Gonna Have A Good Time!


I have this friend for whom I am incredibly grateful. It's not just that we've known each other since we wore braces and had 80's hairdos. It's not that we've never, ever had any sort of fight. I can't quite put my finger on what makes this friendship so terrific, but I'll try.

She is fun and funny. She is brash and bold and not afraid to speak her mind. No doubt she's found herself in a pickle (barrel) or two because of that, but it's something I can count on no matter what. We have a lot in common - our politics, our age (we are a mere 3 weeks apart and, if you must know, I am the older one), our love of books and music. We also are incredibly different. In high school, I almost always took the traditional path - aspiring to go to college and major in pre-medicine, dating the quarterback of the football team, running for student council, you know - goody two-shoes. Miss Devylish is very bright and, while she excelled in her studies as well, she was more willing to put herself out there and try out for the school play and introduce herself to the foreign exchange students. After we graduated, I went off to college and she went to Norway as an exchange program. We had taken French classes together and she had originally requested Paris as a destination, but was instead sent to Oslo. Hmmm, no faltering, she went and struggled her way through learning the language until things fell apart and she was sent home - but I'll let her tell that story someday... (sorry, dear).

She inspires and encourages me to do things I would not normally consider and I am always cheered up by her sunny disposition. We have the sort of relationship that allows us to insult each other ('shut up, bitch') and tease each other about our, shall I say, challenges without taking each other seriously. She is the auntie who introduced my girls to the existence of belly-button jewelry and nose rings and she was the one with whom they went to their first real concert. They adore her. My husband loves to tease her and cook for her in his manly outdoor kitchen and is constantly on the lookout for an older man to pair her with (good luck with that, honey!) She brightens my life in so many ways I cannot even begin to do it justice.

Because of her, I have renewed contact with another girlfriend from high school, Ammo Girl. AG is flying in tonight and the three of us will spend the next five days playing with my daughters, cooking, drinking some damn fine wine, eating chocolate, laughing and catching up. I am so excited I can barely stop vibrating and it's all thanks to Miss Devylish. Thanks, sweetie! I don't know what I'd do without you.

9 comments:

Jenny Rough said...

Aw, I'm so excited for you! How fun. :-)

Jerri said...

Have fun, fun, fun til your daddy takes the T-bird away.

Jess and I will lift a glass to you guys.

Miss Devylish said...

This is such a sweet thing you wrote. Made my heart swell all up and stuff. You're such a treasure and I hope you know that. Love you to pieces.. you and your brood. I would never get thru life if it wasn't for your constant support (and offers of wine!). Love love love to you sugar! See you tonight! xoxox

Deb said...

There is truly nothing better than these magical girl times. Enjoy every second, and tell all when you're done!

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Oh, that is the BEST kind of friend! Celebrate your fabulousness tonight!

Eileen said...

There is nothing better!!! I hope you have a wonderful time with your very special friends. It sounds like you are going to have a blast with some great talks and a lot of laughter. You are all so lucky and blessed to have each other. Enjoy every second!!!

holly said...

Yea! Have so much fun catching up.

Scott from Oregon said...

Big giggly storm to the north of me. Must be you guys...

Kim said...

What a great post! These kind of friendships are one of the best things in the whole world. I have got to figure out how to get my oldest and bestest together like that.

I hope (and know) you had the most amazing and memorable time!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...