Sunday, May 06, 2007

Why Do These Things Always Happen When My Husband is Out of Town?


The day after moving into our first home S left for a week-long business trip to San Diego (poor baby). I was left with a house full of boxes and my sister's wedding to attend in Oregon that weekend. A new washer and dryer had been delivered but not hooked up, S. explained to me on his way to the airport (I was at work). The delivery men had shown up without enough venting pipe, so could I just get some at Home Depot on my way home? Sure. Sounded easy enough. A refrigerator had also come so I stopped at the grocery store as well. Staggering in, plastic handles of the bags digging into my flesh and pulling my shoulders from their sockets, I hooked the heel of my shoe around the handle of the refrigerator door and tugged it open. I then spent the next 35 minutes removing strapping tape from the shelves and fitting them into place before I could put the food away. Nice.


Too tired to cook after this, I decided to start a load of laundry so I could pack for the wedding festivities. Unfortunately, I discovered that the portion of vent they had hooked up extended from the back of the dryer to some undetermined no-man's land under the house. This 30 year old house. Not one to shirk my duties, I prepared to crawl under the house and hook it up and be done with it. What I hadn't expected were the nests of wood spiders that had colonized this particular patch of earth and weren't afraid of me. I did manage to hook it up, flashlight in my teeth, cobwebs in every other orifice and hyperventilating but determined not to pass out in there. Believe me, S. has never been allowed to forget this!


Next time I'll tell you about watering the neighbor. Yeah, the neighbor. Same night. Same business trip.

8 comments:

Trish Ryan said...

Omigosh - you're so brave! I found your blog from Jenny Rough's (you mentioned that you read a lot and recommend books) only to discover that you're also a superhero!

Wood spiders...eesh. But anyone who saves the laundry is a woman after my own heart :)

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Oh, man, you sound like you could be my TWIN! Nothing comes between me and my goals!

Jerri said...

I'm a real fix-it-myself girl, but I'm not sure I could make myself crawl into a situation like that.

You rock. Seriously rock, Kari.

Looking forward to the next story. Did the neighbor grow after you watered him/her?

Scott from Oregon said...

I'll swap ya crawlin'under house stories, anyday...

Ever inhale black widow spider eggs?

Ever have used maxi pads fall on your chest while you are unable to do anything about them sitting there?

Ever lay in four inches of water while you operate an electric tool?

Ever slide along black plastic and right across cat pee?

I'm just getting started, here...

Eileen said...

I am very impressed by your determination, and I understand what was fueling it. However, there is absolutly no way I would ever crawl under my house, especially with spiders. I would take the route of being so pissy with hubby, I would check into Embassy Suites, with kids in tow, until his trip was over. As much as he hates to spend money, I am sure he would get my message. I, on the other hand, would be able to live with his business trip if I was sitting my a pool, with maid service. But, that is just me.....You are one tough cookie!

kario said...

Ladies - thank you for your support. Self-talk (and a father who was a Marine) has helped me through many a frightening situation in my life so far. If you're hungering for more of these kinds of stories, visit Scott's blog (AELEOPE on my links)

Scott - I know better than to swap any kind of stories with YOU! You are the king of crazy. You attract scary situations like a magnet, dude! I don't even want to know about the maxi pad one. Okay, I do. Dish!

Michelle O'Neil said...

You're quite a woman Kari!

Kim said...

Oh my god, forget it. NEVER would I survive that. Suddenly the city is seeming a little bit easier to take.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...