Friday, May 04, 2007

New Places to Explore


My youngest daughter began reading this week. I am so excited for her! I remember how my oldest child struggled with her perfectionism butting up against the quirks of the English language, trying desperately to learn to read without anyone else watching lest she make a mistake and embarrass herself. Poor dear.




My youngest, on the other hand, never let on that she was even the slightest bit interested in learning to read to herself. Her big sister, father and I are more than happy to entertain her on the couch with a stack of Dr. Seuss - why would she need to do it herself? Needless to say, I nearly fell off my chair when the two of us were flipping through the pages of a book of knock-knock jokes and she read the punch line before I could. Her round little cheeks could barely contain the grin she gave me as she confessed that she learned to read at school last week. Huh?


Today, we went to the zoo and she astonished us all by reading every sign on every exhibit we went to, wearing her pride like a velvet cape swishing around her legs. I know exactly how she feels. An entire new world has been opened to her. It's as if she has been inside the closet tapping at the door to enter Narnia and finally found the right combination of moves that swung the door open wide. She is devouring everything that comes her way, looking at it all in a new way. Breakfast is no longer just something to eat. She shushes us all insistently and sounds out the words on the back of the cereal box. She can navigate her way around her favorite computer games without asking for help deciphering the buttons. It is as if someone flipped a switch and all the letters that used to be just marks taking up space mean something. What a thrill!


Congratulations, little one!

10 comments:

Sarah said...

Welcome to the happy world of reading for yourself, I am so pleased and proud little girl!!

Eileen said...

Congratulations indeed!!! What a thrill for her and for you. A whole new, wonderful world has just opened up for her. How exciting for you all. It is just so cool how one day it just clicks and the ball starts rolling. She must have had a grin a mile wide when she started to show you her new talent.
An extra special thanks and hug for all your support (and the happy surprise to see me on your link). Your warmth and kindness means so much. Sending many good wishes and blessing your way.

Anonymous said...

I love this. With my first-born it took awhile to get the reading down and as a parent you start to stress and worry. So with my second child coming to this cross roads you tend to think the same way. But not after reading this. Thank you for showing me a new path. Congratulations to the new reader in the family.
JLN

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Happy!

Deb said...

Ah, the magic that happens when those squiggles finally release their secrets. Thank you for sharing your daughter's discovery in such a beautiful way.

Mother Jones RN said...

This is great news. Thank you for sharing your daughter's first big step into the world of reading.

MJ

Jenny Rough said...

Reading does open up a whole new world. This is great...and such wonderful news to share!

Jerri said...

Congratulations to all of you! Wonderful adventures beckon.

Michelle O'Neil said...

So wonderful!

Hope you celebrate with lots of new books!

Kim said...

So exciting!! Congratulations! My friend's daughter recently cracked the code of reading and it is amazing to watch!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...