Saturday, April 21, 2007

Do-Overs

Driving through the slick streets in an unfamiliar town I stopped at the intersection, waiting my turn. Directly across the street in front of me was a cyclone fence with plywood attached and blue spray paint scrawled across it...

DANGER. NO TRESPASSING. DO NOT ENTER. NO SECOND CHANCES

My first reaction was to chuckle. I could barely make out a jumble of old electronics, car parts, and broken appliances beyond the barrier. No worries, I have no intention of going in there.

My second thought was that if the owner was that protective of what was behind the fence, perhaps there were some unique treasures to see. Hmmm. Intriguing. Now I wanted to sneak over there and peek through the cracks in the plywood. I'm not going to, but I'm imagining all sorts of mysterious things in there.

After spending the day with my father and his youngest stepdaughter yesterday I am convinced that the sign is dead wrong. There are second chances. Even third chances and maybe more. They're there for the taking. We may not always recognize them for what they are, but they are there.

15 comments:

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Well said!

love.

riversgrace said...

I sense the opening....it's a beautiful thing.

Anonymous said...

I am happy for your second chance. My thoughts and prays are with you.
JLN

Anonymous said...

Omigosh. I get to be with you in real time. This makes my heart SING!
I send good thoughts.

Love,
Susan

Jerri said...

Thank God you recognized this chance for love and peace.

love.

Deb said...

I'm so glad you're getting to really experience the blessing of these chances. Thank you for the reminder that we only need to look. Continuing to pray for your time with your dad to be healing and full of light.

Love.

holly said...

Beautiful ... there are do-overs when we open to them!

Eileen said...

You are very wise. This is so very true. It may not be easy, but they are there, and it is a good thing. I wish you strength, inner-peace and an soft, open heart. My prayers and thoughts are with you.

Sarah said...

I'm so glad you are there and my heart is with you on this tough journey. You know where I am when you need me.

Love forever

Sarah

Scott from Oregon said...

Hope your Oregon is warmer than my Oregon.

And can you PLEASE fix my link title?

I've been looking at the mistake for months and being really really good about it...

Now I want to stab my screen with a Qtip!

Kim said...

Good for you for having the open mind to recognize these second changes, and the open heart to let them in. I know it will be so worth it.

Jenny Rough said...

I agree...and I'll keep my eye out for them today :-)

Suzy said...

There are nothing but second chances. That's the beauty of life.

Jess said...

Yep, a good reminder. Thank you.

Michelle O'Neil said...

So sweet.

I believe in second chances as well.

It's never over.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...