Saturday, March 17, 2007

Inspiration from Shel Silverstein


"Listen to the MUSTN'T, child,

Listen to the DON'Ts

Listen to the SHOULDN'Ts

The IMPOSSIBLES,

the WON'Ts

Listen to the NEVER HAVEs

Then listen close to me--

Anything can happen, child,

ANYTHING can be."

Shel Silverstein


Today, I am reminding myself to speak to myself and my children with only affirmative words. Forget the mustn'ts, don'ts, shouldn'ts, won'ts. What CAN I do? What WILL I do? What do I WANT to do and be and think? How can we focus on what we already have? How can we discover happiness and fulfillment in our lives right now, today? Today, I don't need more than I have. Today I don't want more than I can be. Today, I will not fall short because I will be realistic about what I can do and what I truly want to do to create simple joy.

6 comments:

Scott from Oregon said...

I think you had a very good day.

And I liked old Shel...

Suzy said...

Great words to live by....
Thanks for the post!

Deb said...

There is a good reason kids love Shel so much. I feel your determination and your affirmation. Much love.

Kim said...

What a wonderful message and terrific way to start the week--thank you!

And thank you also for the reminder that I adore this book and have to get a copy for my daughter, stat!

Carrie Wilson Link said...

LOVE Shel! Love this poem! Thanks!

Jenny Rough said...

Love Shel! I remember this one so well, as I do many of his poems.

He's one of the few childhood books I always kept...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...