Saturday, January 06, 2007

Striking Fear into the Hearts of Mothers Everwhere...

"It's Cookie Time!"

I know, it seems like a relatively innocuous phrase, but for the mother of a daughter involved in Brownies or Girl Scouts, it is frightening. I am sure there are those mothers who live for this. They are the ones with seemingly boundless energy, organizing phone trees and driving around to local grocery stores to ask permission to set up tables outside. They have charts to track the progress of the troop and can't wait to obliterate past goals this year.

When I think of selling Girl Scout Cookies I think of grumpy seniors slamming the door in my poor eager daughter's face, outraged that their daily soap opera was interrupted by this insolent young thing raising money. I think of my husband's co-workers feeling obligated to peruse the list of goodies and buy at least one box or risk looking rude.

I know there are people out there who can't wait for the girls in green to come knocking, hawking Thin Mints and Samoas (my personal favorite). I know people who buy entire cases just so they can have enough to tide them over until Cookie Time next year. I wish those people would place a special sign in the front window, like a mark of the Underground Railroad, so the girls in our troop could make a beeline for those front porches knowing that they are welcomed warmly. I hate fundraising as a general rule, and I hate having to sell things even more. Please let Cookie Season pass quickly this year!

8 comments:

Jenny Rough said...

I remember when I was a Girl Scout being terrified of approaching a rich, old man, Mr. Morgan, who lived in a mansion with white pillars . . . but I did and he was soooo nice (sorta like Daddy Warbucks) and bought 12 boxes! 12! I was so proud of myself for snagging him first. Years later I realized he probably bought 12 boxes from every girl scout.

Anyway, hope your girl encounters lots of Mr. Morgan's on her journey.

Michelle O'Neil said...

Son of a B@TC*@#H$!

I live for girlscout cookies! LIVE for them.

Stupid diet. Stupid freaking diet.

ammogirl said...

Oh, I LOVE buying girl scout cookies!! I just bought 4 boxes yesterday. I would buy some from your girls if I could...can I?

Miss Devylish said...

michelle: hi.. they FREEZE. As in.. for when you're not dieting later! :)

Kar: I've committed to 4 boxes from a work associate, but don't think E will get away w/out asking auntie if I want some.. I have to get at least 4 then, right? Better save me some damn samoas and the ones that are shortbread w/ chocolate on the bottom!!

Pixie said...

I had 12 years of selling Catholic school chocolate. Here's my insider tip: plant the girls outside your neighbourhood bank or liquor store. Just set up a nice card stable. You can watch them from the warmth of your car - or next to them. People CAN NOT say they don't have the money...they just came from the bank or just spent money or pricey vodka, and wouldn't a cookie chaser be nice?!

Good luck!

Pixie said...

oops - meant "table"...not "stable"

kario said...

Ammogirl: Of course you can buy some from her - she'd be so thrilled!

Auntie Devylish: Hey, if you want some Samoas, you know where to get them, girl.

Pixie: Thanks for the great idea - guilt is a great motivator. Why didn't I think of that?

Thanks for the good wishes. Turns out she's not like me at all and she can't wait to start selling. She's been hitting up all the teachers at her school and can't wait to send out an email to all our relatives. Must be my husband's gene pool. Either that or she's seen the list of prizes available...

Mother Jones RN said...

Girl Scout cookies are to die for...

Mint cookies, I must have mint!



MJ

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...