Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Fond Holiday Memories

1. Never knowing at what angle the Christmas tree was going to be sitting each morning as I came down the stairs. The six-month-old kitten's nocturnal cavorting resulted in my girls getting to re-decorate the tree every day and, frankly, having it sit askew a bit each day allowed for easier access to check the water level.

2. When asked what her most cherished Christmas gift was, Lola didn't hesitate: it was most certainly the rubber chicken Santa left in her stocking. The hen, named Henrietta (of course) sports a Santa hat and red bikini and is actually a dog's chew-toy. It took my youngest all of three seconds to discover that when she stretched it out by pulling on both the feet and the Santa hat, a honkingsqueakingsquawking noise fills the room. Damn you, Santa!

3. I was lucky enough to spend an entire morning with my husband's 89-year-old grandmother and heard some awesome stories of life in the early 20th century. I have always loved this woman, but I have a newfound respect for her strength and unflappability. I can't wait to record some of her tales to share with my daughters as they grow up.

4. Spending a few hours making an awfully ugly (but dang tasty) peppermint cheesecake with Eve. We rarely cook together anymore because her social calendar is soo full these days, you know. What a treat to do something together that we could reap the benefits of later!

5. Last, but not least, hiding outside the playroom door after being kicked out by my girls who were practicing for a show with their new karaoke machine. We squatted right around the corner and listened to them belt out tunes together and every once in a while I was bold enough to peek in and get an advance showing of their extra cool moves.

3 comments:

Michelle O'Neil said...

Shopping for a b-day present for his five year old cousin yesterday, Seth begged to get him a rubber chicken! What's up with these things?

Our kittens had to sleep downstairs for the holiday season.

Hope the hubby is doing well.

Carrie Wilson Link said...

DARLING, Kario. Thanks for the smiles!

Miss Devylish said...

Oh cute! I want a show too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...