Wednesday, November 29, 2006

One is Enough. Really.


No, honestly. Don't listen to the children. One snow day is plenty. Especially considering that, thanks to teacher conferences and Thanksgiving, we haven't had a full week of school in the last three weeks, I think the children really ought to be exercising their minds.


Three days ago my children saw a wishing well. Their grandmother, a wonderful woman who loves to indulge her only granddaughters, gave them each a dime to make a wish. A dime. Each of them. Can you guess what they wished for? Snow. I'll have to remind her that, from now on, a penny is ample for wish-making. Apparently when you combine two holiday-inspired little girls with a wishing well and 20 cents, that's some pretty powerful juju.


The layer of ice beneath the three inches of snow is an inch deep and has proven impenetrable to salt and sand. A new weather system is slowly moving in, determined to dump anywhere from three to six inches of fresh snow on top of this mess and, then, about midnight tonight, the meteorologists predict that freezing rain will come in to top it all off like a rotten birthday cake. Which, I suppose is perfectly okay if you're Oscar the Grouch, or a kid who is not particularly interested in going back to classes until next Monday, but I don't happen to be either of those.


I happen to be a mother whose husband is currently in South America, working, visiting friends, eating like a king, and basking in the sun. A woman whose Christmas shopping is not done, who hasn't even actually purchased Christmas cards yet, much less begun to address them. A woman who was desperately looking forward to having two hours for tea with her best friend tomorrow morning while the children are all AT SCHOOL. 'Scuse me. I think I need to go meditate. Or is that medicate? Hmm, I'll let you know which one works...Until then, toss a quarter in a wishing well for me, eh? You know what to wish for!

6 comments:

Jenny Rough said...

Well, at least it sounds very pretty.

ammogirl said...

Ack! I am sorry! I would be going stir-crazy for sure.

If it was ME, I'd do the "medicate" option. :) good luck.

Michelle O'Neil said...

The hubby living it up is just salt in the wound. Ouch!

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Snow days SUUUUUCCCCCKKKK! I feel your pain!

Miss Devylish said...

I'm so glad the snow is gone!! But brrr! And just sayin, I may have the cards already.. which is saying a lot cuz I don't send cards anymore, but these were cute - but I don't have them addressed or anything.. and 1 present I think I've bought. I'm going to be doing it w/ the paycheck on the 20th.. so you'll be way ahead of me! xoxo

Pixie said...

Would it be possible to stick your kids in little matching velcro suits and pop them up on a velcro wall in your home? They could rest there, safely, for quite some time...and you could work on other projects. Velcro walls have gained some popularity in bars b/c drunks can't hurt themselves. That's a bit like children, right? Perhaps I would not make a good mother. Good luck!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...