Friday, October 13, 2006

Meet & Greet

We've met. You can officially say we've been introduced. The first month or two of the school year is one big meet-and-greet. I don't mean getting to know the teachers, my kids' classmates or even their parents. I'm talking about what happens after the two-week incubation period. That's when my kids have already picked up all the various bacteria and viruses that lurk in the homes of their friends and have mysteriously been transferred to every surface in their classroom. Okay, it's not that mysterious. How many six and seven year olds actually wash their hands every time they are done in the bathroom? Sneezing into their sleeves? C'mon, now. Most of them still pick their noses at least once a day.

Every year, approximately two weeks into the new school calendar, that's when it hits home. My husband and I wake up with sinuses stuffed like a Thanksgiving turkey, throats like sandpaper, and no end in sight. Until we've exhausted every possible combination and permutation of each individual virus from each of our kids' classmates' houses, we'll be popping cold medicine and running the vaporizer like prohibition's coming.

It just can't be helped. Maybe next year, we'll host a gala for the kids earlier in the year and encourage hugging and kissing. I'll remove all traces of antibacterial soap and Kleenex from the house and let everyone breathe on everybody else. Maybe we'll start two weeks before the first day of school so we can get this all over with sooner.

5 comments:

Michelle O'Neil said...

I feel your pain. Our house was sick last week.

Yuck.

Carrie Wilson Link said...

We had that phenomenon hit here too. SUCKS! I, personally, take those Airborne things constantly. Could just be the placebo effect, but whatever, they work!

Miss Devylish said...

Oh good thing I just saw them! ;) Sorry honey.. I hope you two feel better soon! Give my little sick monsters some love for me! xoxo

Jenny Rough said...

Blech. Hope you feel better soon!

John Harvey said...

I think I'm coming down with something just reading this...

Thanks for your visit yesterday, I try to always post response comments by the way, so you've got some words from me on John Harvey's Sword.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...