Saturday, September 16, 2006

Tag: I'm "It"

Okay, my friend and fellow writer Michelle O'Neill http://www.michelleoneilwrites.blogspot.com/) tagged me with this meme and I couldn't resist. Here goes:

A book that changed my life: “A Tree Grows in Brooklyn” by Betty Smith
I read this book a thousand times when I was growing up. The fact that this girl could flourish in such rough circumstances and keep her eye on her goals gave me the courage to do the same. I soo wanted to be Francie, and did my best to live by her principles and mine.

A book that made me laugh: Anything by David Sedaris
“The Girlfriend’s Guide to Surviving the First Year of Motherhood” by Vicki Iovine

A book that made me cry: “Where the Red Fern Grows” by Wilson Rawls
“Breaking Her Fall” by Stephen Goodwin
“My Sister’s Keeper” by Jodi Picoult

A book that I wish had been written: One that appeals to pre-adolescent and adolescent children and helps them navigate the tricky waters of growing up in difficult situations. For every kid who lives in such conditions and doesn’t have a positive role model, a book should be available to encourage them to find their own way to heal and grow and flourish.

A book that I wish had never been written: I don’t really have an answer for this one. There are certainly ideas and beliefs that I don’t necessarily agree with, but I don’t have the right to censor them. I guess any book whose sole purpose is to cause pain or destruction has no authentic reason to be out there, in my opinion.

A book I’ve been meaning to read: “Dance of the Dissident Daughter” by Sue Monk Kidd. I’ve looked in every local bookstore and library and cannot locate a copy of this book. I think I’ll probably be forced to buy it on Amazon.com, but I hate doing that so I’m resisting.

I’m currently reading: “The Artist’s Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity” by Julia Cameron
"The Breath of a Wok : Unlocking the Spirit of Chinese Wok Cooking Through Recipes and Lore"
“Water Witches” by Chris Bohjalian

4 comments:

Miss Devylish said...

Well crap.. there goes me getting you The Artist's Way for your damn birthday. ;)

Michelle O'Neil said...

Yay! You did it!

I LOVE A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. LOVE IT!

You must find Dance of the Dissident Daughter. I just finished it recently (our library had it) and it is soooooo good.

I'll have to check out some of your other picks.

Hope you, the fam & Osama are having a good weekend.

ammogirl said...

Oooh I love it; now I have all sorts of books to put on my list of things I need to read!

Jenny Rough said...

Where the Red Fern Grows!! Oh, I remember how much I loved that book. If you e-mail me your address I'll mail you my copy of The Dance of the Dissident Daughter.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...