Monday, August 28, 2006

That's the Sound of my Palm Hitting my Forehead

I don't know why it has taken me so long to figure this out. I hate even more that there is a certain group of people out there who may have been shaking their heads in wonder (silently, thank God) for several months now.

Let me back up. Several months ago I attended a wonderful writing workshop led by Jennifer Lauck, the talented author of such books as Blackbird, Still Waters, and Show Me The Way. I spent three glorious days in Portland, Oregon sitting in a circle of knowledge and truth, soaking in the wisdom and lessons of these other wonderful writers. I came home changed and terrifically excited about writing like never before. One of the best things Ms. Lauck did for me was encourage me (and the rest of us in her workshop) to start a blog. I will admit it had never occurred to me before, but I was willing to give it a try.

The most difficult initial stumbling block was finding a name for my weblog. Hmmm, I had no inspiration at all and, to this day, have no recollection of how or when the name "The Writing Life" actually came to me. I wanted a name that said something profound or at least was somewhat of a hook for readers. I kept drawing blanks. I searched other blogs looking for inspiration but my impatience to begin writing led me to accept my first instinct and move on to the fun part.

Months later, I am enjoying writing my blog and reading the blogs of my fellow workshoppers more every day. As I popped onto Jennifer Lauck's site ( http://www.jenniferlauck.com/) to see what she was thinking last week, I felt as though I had just peed my pants. Oh, crap! The title of the workshop I attended, the one held at Jennifer Lauck's home, the one where I had been inspired to start blogging and where I met so many others who did the same, was "Writing Life". What kind of a loser am I?

I swear on a stack of dark chocolate (trust me, that's dear to my heart and soul) that, although I am certain I made the subconscious connection at the time, under no circumstances did I set out to steal this title. I cannot believe that the others who have been reading my blog for months now have not made the connection and called me out. I am glad, for I would certainly have been mortified, but I am so embarrassed right now I can hardly sit on my own ass. I feel as uncomfortable as if my pants were full of fire ants. I want to throw up (well, almost, actually I hate throwing up more than anything) and sincerely apologize to all of you who may have been wondering how I could be such a dolt.

Jennifer, if you're reading this, I am truly sorry that I don't have an olive branch to offer you. I am so stuck in this whirlpool of regret and shock that I am not even sure where to begin to make amends. I can say that I haven't felt this stupid in a long time, and hope that you can accept my sincere apologies.

4 comments:

Michelle O'Neil said...

Ha!!!!!!!!

I never even made the connection Kari?

Just goes to show....there ARE no original thoughts. We all just recycle and recycle and recycle and think we came up with brilliant material ourselves.

Let's keep telling ourselves that.

Too funny!

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Oh, for heaven's sake! I never put the two together, NEVER! I can ASSURE you, Jennifer is not stewing about this! Michelle is right, there are no original thoughts. We're all a bunch of pirates passing off others' thoughts and ideas as our own.

Jenny Rough said...

I never made the connection either! Besides, Jennifer's workshop is Writing Life and your blog is THE Writing Life. That three letter definite article makes all the difference!

jennifer said...

Remember Seinfeld, when Elaine would say "shut up," while shoving whomever got the brunt of her "shut up"?? Loved that girl and I completely steal her SHUT (shove) UP for this moment!!

SHUT (shove) UP!!!!

You have nothing to apologize for other than the fact that your sorry old judge is still yaking in your ear...you are officially recalled back to Writing Life in Portland, in Oct. to go through an intensive "self judgment workshop" where I will personally toss rose petals in front of you and tell you that you are the cat's pajama's so many times that you will BEG me to stop and promise to never let that judge back in the house again!!!

Go sit down, right now and write these words on a legal pad...

I love you Kari O
I love you Kari O
I love you Kari O

Fill a page a day until Oct. 20th!! I am counting and expect to see a whole bunch of pages!

Love you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...