Tuesday, August 15, 2006

It's Not Like I'm Asking for a Heart!

We're off to see the wizard...okay, the gastroenterologist. I hope he's a wizard, though, because for now he's our last shot to discover some new reason for my husband's mysterious stomach ailment. We've been to four different doctors on two continents, he's given blood, had CT scans, ultrasounds, three endoscopies and several biopsies to date. So far, no diagnosis. Today, they have come up with the brilliant idea to combine the endoscopy and the ultrasound so instead of simply swallowing a camera, my dear prince gets to ingest an ultrasound wand as well. I don't think he's looking forward to it, but at least he'll be so far down the Dreamy River he won't remember the unpleasantness.

My girls, as much as they would like to be immune to the constant probing and wondering, are bickering like an old married couple this morning. My sole consolation is that I will drop them off to play at a friend's house so I don't have to sit with them in the waiting room all afternoon. The last three times I've managed to find things to entertain them, bringing packs full of coloring books and crayons, walking to the bookstore or Starbucks for a hot chocolate and watching the tropical fish in the waiting room. After being invited back into the "procedure room" to get Daddy, they were intrigued by all of the equipment but saddened to see their loopy father try to stand up, sticky residue from the tape they used to secure his breathing tube coating his upper lip like a milk mustache. Never again, I vowed. This time I'm going it alone.

So I'll bring my laptop and try to focus on writing while he is "sleeping" and having foreign objects shoved down his food tube. I can only hope that this time they will discover something new that will tell us what to do. Please, Wiz, show yourself and endow us with some words of wisdom. I'm not putting on those ruby red shoes until I have some answers, but this yellow brick road is beginning to look a bit like yellow snow...

3 comments:

Miss Devylish said...

Crossing my fingers, toes, anything I can for you. Don't forget to breathe. You'll both get thru this!

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Keep us posted, Kari, I want to hear what you find out about your prince! I'm keeping good thoughts.

ammogirl said...

I'll be thinking about you two all day! Let us know when you can...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...