Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Can it Really Soothe the Savage Beast?

I bought a new CD today. Now, being solidly in my mid-30s with two small children, this opportunity has not presented itself in a while, unless I was in the Children's Music (moo-gicks, as Lola used to call it) section at the local Barnes & Noble. Since then, I purchase my music online one song at a time and, not surprisingly, I am completely out of touch with what the young, hip people are listening to. I have to say, though, that I'm not particularly concerned since I am happily and safely cradled in my own rut at the current time.

Anyway, I happened to find myself in a lovely bookstore/coffee shop/spiritual awakening-type place today, wandering around looking at the crystals and perusing the workshops available on how to realign one's chakra and the proper way to read tarot cards, not that I'm about to sign up for one - I'll leave that to others, thank you. As my kids were doing their best to touch the fountains without getting caught I became aware of the lovely voice filtering through the room. Before the next five minutes were up, I was completely enchanted and, although I have no idea what language the woman was singing in, I sought out the CD and purchased it.

I spent the afternoon cleaning out Eve's closet, sorting through the toys and broken seashells, Ziploc baggies of trail mix leftover from Girl Scout Camp, clothes flung far and wide and the assortment of things "borrowed" from her sister. Normally, this activity throws me headlong into a cesspool of irritation, such maternal phrases as "how could I have raised a child who treats her things like this?" bubbling to the surface and prompting the design of an ear-scorching speech to be delivered as soon as I've martyred myself by completing the task. This time, however, soothed by the silky sounds of my new compact disc, I simply hummed along and reorganized everything.

I was so thrilled with my new purchase that I brought the CD down and played it for my girls as they sat coloring at the kitchen table. I asked them to listen to this new music, knowing that they, having inherited my appreciation of a wide variety of styles, would be as enthralled as I upon hearing it. Within five minutes, they were picking at each other, arguing over which crayons belonged to whom and what color was best for the princess' skin. I waited to see if the mood would blow over and be soothed by the background sounds of the music playing. I know I was feeling relaxed and content. As time went on, they began to get more and more irritated and my oldest left the table abruptly and walked to the computer to look at the song list. Just as I was about to sit down with her and discuss the beauty of the song we were listening to, Lola barked, "Mom, this music is making me really tired!" I was surprised and turned to her just in time for Eve to pipe up, "Thank goodness! I thought I was the only one. Now I can finally turn it off!" CLICK went the mouse and silence was restored. So much for that.

p.s. the CD is called "Grace" and the artist is Snatam Kaur. I still love it even if nobody else in my gene pool can appreciate it.

5 comments:

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Kids! There's no accounting for taste. Sounds like an awesome CD to me, and bravo for you for selecting it, buying it, and loving it. That's all that matters.

Miss Devylish said...

Omg.. at 4 and 6 they say the most amazing things.. still surprises me.. I so shocked they don't like it tho! Oh well.. that must be Mr Kario's gene pool. heh..

megan said...

Well ya know kids react opposite of adults...this doesn't surprise me even with your pea pods. Just say it's Mommy's turn and you can leave if you want to. Haha. Like trying to feed mine salmon or tofu or whatever's non kid food,"Taste honey, it's good for your body.", then "I don't like it." ...lead that horse to water. Okay I never knew you were Catholic...A. yes, Court. yes, but you??? I never saw you go to church once! And I've been to every church in this town..like the homeless vagabond I was! haha. The things you learn..sheesh. So sorry to hear about your S's news...I'm crossing my fingers for you all, okay??!! Keep us posted. Me

Anonymous said...

The only time the Savage Beast is soothed in my house is when my three children are asleep and my husband is snoring next to me in bed. Then I can relax. It might be time for a me to buy a CD like yours. JLN

kario said...

JN - I'll send you one right away, girl!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...