Monday, July 10, 2006

Watch Your Follow Through!

I am absolutely exhausted. I just returned from a week-long "vacation" two hours ago and already I'm so tired I just want to worm my way under the covers of my very own bed and magically stop the Earth from revolving around the Sun for a few days. Now that would be a vacation!

Not only was my "vacation" not really one except in the technical sense that I was away from home on something other than work, but in my husband's haste to load the car, he neglected to bring my laptop, my oasis in the desert of chaos that is traveling with children. I have a very good friend who describes vacations with small children as "parenting in a different place". But I digress; that is all for another post.

Returning to the kitchen, I immediately felt pelted by incoming information. My eyes locked in on the pile of mail stacked on the counter, I heard the incessant chirping of the answering machine, my oldest daughter dropped the plastic garbage bag of laundry on the floor with a WHUMP. I thought of the friend in distress whom I had neglected to check in on while we were gone, the cats who instantly came to my ankles to reacquaint themselves with me reminded me that being home comes with some relief and a lot of catching up.

As soon as the immediate needs of finding something for dinner and feeding the animals were met, my stomach began to knot up as the list of things to follow through on grew like a sea monkey in a bowl of water. Sometimes I am caught off guard by the energy it takes to follow through on my daily commitments and values, especially when I don't keep up with them on a daily basis. Getting away from it all is great, but next time maybe I'll come home a day earlier than anyone thinks I will just so I can have a cushion of time to reimmerse myself in my own life.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I completely understand what you are going though. I will be in this state in Aug. It is funny I just used that phase "parenting in a different place" this evening. You do need a time to recover before coming back from vacation. I like the idea about coming home a day early alone.

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Welcome back, Kari, I've missed your postings terribly! I call "family vacations" the biggest oxymoron in the world - there is no such thing! Next time YOU come home a day before the family (2 is even better) and face the re-entry trauma alone. It's so brutal, it actually wrecks my last few days of "vacation" as I gear up for it!

Miss Devylish said...

I always say when I'm back from my vacation that I need at least another day for recooping.. Hope you manage to organize it all honey.. I'm sure it'll happen. One thing at a time! :) Glad you're back!

Michelle O'Neil said...

Welcome back!

How bout this? Send hubby off with the girls, let everyone else (except the friends you are inviting over for drinks)think you went with him, and have a true vacation at home!

kario said...

Ooh, ooh, Michelle and Carrie! You guys are so going to be my new consultants! Now, I'm off to plan my next vacation.....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...