Thursday, July 20, 2006

Fairy Tales

This is a story Lola shared with me when she was three years old.

"When I was one, I was in my big sister's tummy forever. There were three buttons sewn on her tummy and it wouldn't open. But when I was three years old, the tummy opened and I began to come out and turn into a beautiful princess. I danced on the walls and floated down to land on some flowers. I picked the flowers and took them to my friend. I'm so tricky!"

Eve, then four and a half, followed that story with her own:

"I had a monkey cup. One night, the power went out and I ran to the neighbor's house. The neighbor turned out to be my Aunt Jam (her real name is Jan, but the kids have called her Aunt Jam forever). She had beautiful pictures on her wall and we decided to have dinner together. We ate steak, snow, and corn. I put ketchup, mayonnaise, and mustard on my steak. The end."

I can't wait to share these stories with them when they are teenagers and see what they can make of them. I love that they are so free of structure and reality and there is no fear in them, no boogie monster.

2 comments:

Carrie Wilson Link said...

Very sweet posting, Kari. Thanks!

ammogirl said...

I LOVE those stories! I want a monkey cup to drink out of when I eat my snow!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...