Monday, April 10, 2006

WARNING: Politics Contained Herein...

I'm sorry, is it just me or does everyone find it terribly depressing that George W. Bush is kicking off "holy week" by talking about bombing Iran? Now, to be clear, I am not a religious person anymore, but I certainly understand and respect the importance of this particular week to a large portion of the world's people. To many, this week is vastly superior to Christmas as far as religion goes, and Dubya's timing really sucks.

I am also not in favor of bombing any country and do not support the skirmish in Iraq, but talk of aggression in yet another middle east country during this holy week seems ridiculous at best. Perhaps fatefully, I was digging through some old letters yesterday and found this from one of my best friends, dated Friday, April 11, 2003. I hope she doesn't mind that I'm going to quote her...

"Last night, Archbishop Desmond Tutu filled me with hope. He drove sadness and fear right out of me. He helped me believe again that we can allow peace and harmony in our world...He spoke of family, that we are all family regardless of where we live in this world...He said, 'God is not a Christian, you know. His love is for Hindus and Jews and Muslims and Unitarians, too.' As for what we can do to promote peace in the world, Desmond Tutu said, 'Do what you are already doing. We are only drops of water, but together we make the vast ocean.' He told us that prayers count, petitions count, demonstrations count, phone calls count. Stand up and be counted...Be a part of our neighborhoods, our communities, wage peace, tolerance, generosity of spirit. Forgive. I wish I could remember every word...exactly as he said it...Peace is indeed possible."

It is this kind of extension of our individual experiences that spreads like dandelion seeds in the wind. My friend's renewal of hope in turn renewed mine. It is important that we remember to stop feeling despondent and helpless and frustrated and angry. It is important that we share our despair and fire with friends and family. Sow the seeds of individual action so that we can come together to make the world a better place. Nobody wants innocent lives to be taken, everyone is disheartened when violence is committed in the name of institutions like politics or religion. Even if you agree that something needs to be done in Iran or Iraq, let's share our ideas and feelings in an effort to spare any more bloodshed. For the sake of the planet and our children and love.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Hi Kari,

I've just returned from DC, the town where it's all being decided. He, you know who, and the rest, deciding that fear speaks more loudly than love and that basing decisions on fear (security) is more effective than basing them on respect for all. I simply don't know how it will change . . . other than speaking up, as you have.

Miss Devylish said...

I know this was about politics.. but you have no idea how timely that was.. it works as a general statement and it's lovely.

Treena said...

Kari, very eloquent. Imagine how I feel, working the job I do. Can you believe we are absolutely not allowed to speak out against him? Or, that a large majority of the people around me actually defend his actions and think he does no wrong? The hive mind is definitely at work within the military. Sighhh...the decisions one makes when one is young(er).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...